Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Local Spread

Yesterday, I cruised on over to a town hall meeting at East Side Show Room, where Representative Eddie Rodriguez so graciously was there to listen. Many small farmers joined and spoke of their troubles with government policy and the population’s resistance to the local movement.

It was an eye-opening experience to witness some of the best farmers in Texas, which provide the healthiest food out there, encountering misfortune and inconvenience from all sides.

This brings me to two points: the Food Inc. Revolution and my own mission as a local food broker.

Food Inc. has exposed the inhumane conditions of factory farms, the environmental impact of transporting our food, and the horrors of the food we eat. The movie has shed light onto the importance of supporting your local community by purchasing local food. It gave a voice to those sickened by food-borne illnesses and, most importantly, the movie offers ways to change the system and Americans’ eating habits.

This brings me to my own mission here in Austin. I’m so thankful to live in a city which can be considered the “hub” for supporting local and organic food. This is why my foodie tendencies brought me to become a local food broker and create Yum Runnerz. I want to help artisans creating the healthiest food in the world with tender love and care to establish themselves and sell their food. I want to spread the gospel of the local movement to all willing ears through education and awareness.

I also want to help consumers understand that season changes will alter menu offerings and that paying a higher premium for local food is important not only for your body, but for your environmental surroundings. This does not mean that the food should be so expensive that the lower-income population is alienated and driven to buy fast food. It means that if supply and demand increase, the price should naturally fall and allow local food to become more accessible to those willing to buy it. Most of all, I want to spread my passion for healthy food.

Within the next couple of weeks, I will buy a few hens and attempt to create a garden and a compost pile for my backyard. This is my simple step toward change. What’s yours?

For more information about Yum Runnerz visit www.yumrunnerz.com or email me at foodiemccoy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment